Archive

Posts Tagged ‘transfer’

Raul join Schalke 04

July 28th, 2010 No comments

phpT0xpUgReal Madrid’s talismanic striker Raul, forced out of the Bernabeu after 16 record-breaking seasons, has signed for Schalke at the age of 33, the Bundesliga club said on Wednesday.

Raul, who scored 323 times in 741 games for Real including a record 66 Champions League goals and is Spain’s alltime leading scorer, will try to revive his career in industrial Gelsenkirchen after falling out of favour at the club where he made his name.

“This is a great piece of news for Schalke 04,” coach Felix Magath told the club’s website after completing one of their biggest-ever signings.

“I’m happy that we’ve succeeded in inspiring such an outstanding footballer and world class player into changing to the Bundesliga and to Schalke. Read more…

Raul farewell speech

July 27th, 2010 No comments

phpX6XQOQ“Before I begin I would like to thank everyone in attendance, and thank you to the president for his kind words. I love football more than anything, and to play for Real Madrid is the best dream I can think of. I feel like a footballer, and I want to continue doing so as long as time and my body permit.”

“Throughout the years I have always tried to stay true to the values of Real Madrid. Today more than ever before I want everyone to know that I tried to give my very best in every play, every dribble, every shot and every gesture on the pitch. That is what Real Madrid is to me, and that is why the word surrender never existed in my head.”

“Today is a very emotional day. Today is a day of powerful feelings. Today is a day that cannot do without my gratitude and thanks. It is impossible to name each and every person who over this time have stood by me and helped me. Read more…

Vidic agrees new United contract

July 24th, 2010 No comments

phpQydtAwManchester United central defender Nemanja Vidic has agreed a new “long-term” contract at the Premier League club, says chief executive David Gill.

Vidic, 28, joined United in 2006 for £7m from Spartak Moscow and has been a mainstay of the side ever since.

The Serbia international had been rumoured to be leaving United with Real Madrid reportedly interested.

Gill told MUTV: “We’ve shaken hands on it and we’re confident it will all be signed and sealed in early August.”

Vidic’s decision to stay at United is a huge boost for the club considering fellow central defender Rio Ferdinand’s injury problems.
Ferdinand is recovering from the knee injury that ruled him out of the 2010 World Cup and which will see him miss the start of the domestic season.

The England captain was also plagued by back and groin problems last season, limiting his involvement.

During his four years at United, Vidic has won the Premier League three times, as well as the Champions League and three League Cup medals.

“There was a lot of speculation about Nemanja’s future but in my view it’s been the media drumming some old stories,” added Gill.

“They certainly didn’t come out of the Manchester United camp and I’m confident they didn’t come out of Nemanja’s camp. Read more…

KAKA to Chelsea?

July 14th, 2010 No comments

phphr20i9Carlo Ancelotti’s admission that he would love to have Kaka at Chelsea has sparked talks between the playmaker’s dad and his bosses at Real Madrid.

Bosco Leite, who also acts as the 28-year-old’s agent, was pictured at the Bernabeu on Monday afternoon and headed for a meeting with Real director Jose Angel Sanchez, according to Madrid sports paper AS.

Kaka’s £56million signing from AC Milan 12 months ago sparked a massive summer spending spree by the Spanish giants, but the Brazil international’s performances last season were far from impressive.

The 2007 World Player of the Year was also disappointing at the World Cup after an injury-hit year and his future has been brought into question.

Kaka is recovering from thigh and pelvis injuries and Leite and Madrid met to discuss when he would join up with the club for pre-season training. Read more…

Ballack and Joe Cole to leave Chelsea

June 9th, 2010 No comments

phprJYSqWChelsea have confirmed that Joe Cole and Michael Ballack are to leave the club on free transfers this summer.

Cole, 28, will depart at the start of July after the Premier League champions reportedly said they would not offer the England midfielder a fresh deal.

Germany midfielder Ballack, 33, who has been with Chelsea since 2006, will also not have his contract renewed.

Chelsea also said right-back Juliano Belletti will be leaving when his deal expires at the end of this month.

Cole joined Chelsea from West Ham for £6.6m in 2003 and is in South Africa preparing for the World Cup.
His departure from Stamford Bridge will surprise many as he is expected to play an important role for England manager Fabio Capello in South Africa.

“We would like to thank him for his dedicated years of service and wish him well in his future career,” read a Chelsea statement.

He struggled to hold down a starting berth in the Chelsea team during the 2009/10 season after returning from a serious knee injury last September.

Cole made 26 league appearances and scored two goals in the campaign - including a vital strike in the 2-1 victory over title rivals Manchester United in April.

Reports surfaced during the season that Cole’s future was in doubt as contract negotiations over a new contract stalled, with suggestions that the player and his representatives angered Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich with their hard-line stance over wages. Read more…

Benitez to become new Inter Boss

June 9th, 2010 No comments

phptXjk6MInter Milan have announced that former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has agreed to become the club’s new coach.

“We’ve got an agreement, we finalised the last details that in any case weren’t important,” Inter president Massimo Moratti told ANSA news agency.

Moratti said Inter would on Tuesday confirm details of Benitez’s unveiling as the club’s coach.

Benitez, 50, left Liverpool last week after six years at Anfield and will succeed Jose Mourinho at the San Siro.

Moratti revealed negotiations with Benitez had not taken place in person and said the Spaniard was due to arrive in Milan this week ahead of finalising his move to the European champions.

“All that is needed now is a counter-signature,” added the Inter president.

Benitez has a strong track record in European football, having won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 and the Uefa Cup with Valencia in 2004.

But he would have big shoes to fill at Inter, with Mourinho winning the league in both seasons he was at the club, not to mention securing the Champions League and Italian Cup last season.
And before Mourinho’s spell at the club, Inter won three consecutive titles under Manchester City’s current manager Roberto Mancini. Read more…

Arsenal : Give me £50million for Cesc

June 7th, 2010 No comments

phpOZZG00ARSENAL have told Barcelona: You can have Cesc Fabregas for £50million.

And Arsene Wenger has already held talks with Joe Cole over filling the gap left in the Gunners midfield.

Arsenal insisted skipper Fabregas, 23, was not for sale when they dismissed Barca’s opening bid last week.

But the Nou Camp’s top brass now claim Arsenal say they will sell… if Barca double their offer.

The Catalan giants are not prepared to do that but the fact Arsenal have named a price suggests there is now room for negotiation.

A Nou Camp source said: “This is the news the men in charge at Barca wanted.

“They now see the possibility of Arsenal cracking and are determined to get their man.

“They hope they can get an agreement at around the £35m mark.”

Chelsea star Cole met Gunners boss Wenger before jetting out to South Africa with England last week.

The former West Ham ace, 28, is out of contract and set to quit Stamford Bridge after seven years.

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has not given up hope of keeping Cole.

Assistant boss Ray Wilkins admitted: “Carlo and myself would love Joe to stay. But it’s down now to the club to see what we can do.”

Next destination : Inter Milan

June 7th, 2010 No comments

phptXjk6MRAFA BENITEZ is expected to be announced as the new Inter Milan manager within 48 hours - as exclusively revealed by SunSport.

Inter president Massimo Moratti will fly to Sardinia today for a meeting with ex-Liverpool boss Benitez at his holiday hotel.

Moratti considers the Spaniard an ideal replacement for Jose Mourinho, who quit to take over at Real Madrid.

He said: “I can only say good things about him.

“Benitez will be the new Inter manager. Over the next few days it will be decided. Benitez has beaten Jose five times - a sign he is well prepared.

“He works hard and in the important matches he makes no mistakes. It’s important we continue to do well in Europe. Doing well in the Champions League brings us satisfaction.”

Benitez’s No 2 Mauricio Pellegrini is also expected to join Inter, while outgoing Italy boss Marcello Lippi has been linked with Liverpool.

Benitez leaves Liverpool by mutual consent

June 4th, 2010 No comments

phpwABNkGLiverpool have announced manager Rafael Benitez has left the club by mutual consent after six years in charge.

Benitez, 50, replaced Gerard Houllier as Liverpool manager in June 2004 and guided them to Champions League and FA Cup success the following two seasons.

But last season they made an early exit from the Champions League and finished only seventh in the Premier League.

Managing director Christian Purslow and former manager Kenny Dalglish are to begin the search for a replacement.

The club said there is no timeframe for an appointment and they will make no further comment until a new manager has been installed.
Benitez, who had four years of his five-year contract to run, finalised his departure after agreeing a severance payment and said he was “extremely sad” to be leaving the club.

“I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool,” he told the club’s website.

“I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

“Thank you so much once more and always remember: You’ll never walk alone.”

Recently appointed club chairman Martin Broughton thanked Benitez for his efforts, but said it was time for a new era.

“Rafa will forever be part of Liverpool folklore after bringing home the Champions League following the epic final [against AC Milan] in Istanbul but after a disappointing season both parties felt a fresh start would be best for all concerned,” he said.
Former Valencia coach Benitez had been linked with Real Madrid and Juventus in recent months, but with both those clubs now having new men in charge he could be in the running to fill the vacant position at European champions Inter Milan following the departure of Jose Mourinho.

One thing that could delay the appointment of a permanent successor to Benitez at Anfield is the uncertainty over the club’s future ownership.

Liverpool are £351m in debt and were put up for sale by co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett earlier this year.

The American pair’s ownership of the Reds has been a long-running source of discontent for many fans, who are unhappy with the way the club is being run, and there have been regular protests and public disputes.

Benitez had a fractious relationship with the pair, who admitted sounding out former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann about the possibility of him taking over from Benitez at the end of 2007, when they feared the Spaniard could leave the club. Read more…

TheDailySoccerNews.com is proudly powered by WordPress